Wednesday, May 27, 2009

DTV in 30 minutes or less

Save your analog televisions from the landfills -- adding a DTV converter isn't rocket science.

This weekend I watched the Indy 500 on a 25 year old 12" black and white NTSC set in the garage, and I used a cannibalized set of indoor rabbit ears as the antenna.

I couldn't get the program at all on the NTSC (analog) tuner from my local ABC affiliate WTAE. So I striped the 300 ohm antenna lead connection to the attached rabbit ears dipole; added a 300-to-75 ohm balun and plugged in the NTIA coupon converter.

Since I couldn't find a "UHF" loop antenna in my junk drawer, I used the old VHF dipole with a twin lead connection and without any balun adaptor from the converter box (about as bad a mismatch as you can get).

The Pittsburgh PA TV transmitters are 20+ miles from my home, and I am at an elevation about the same as their broadcast antennas - but with lots of hills between. The bottom line, I had a better wide screen picture without ghosts, and without any major disturbances - and 22 channels of FREE TV.

....and it took less than 30 minutes to cobble it all together.

So get real, if people want to watch good image quality FREE television, they'll make the effort.

Let's not delay the June 12 conversion to digital terrestrial broadcasting any longer or continue to make excuses that just show apathy or ignorance.

No comments: